I love those online versions of magazines (although it took a little getting used to). Brand Packaging magazine came out with a great article by the creative director at Method– the great looking line of household products most seen in Target. Here is the brief:
1. Working together as a team- at Method they collaborate and work together even though the product categories may be different (handwash, laundry etc). This is how a brand goes from good to great.
2. A different kind of focus group- Method does not employ the “sitting behind a glass case & point to the most attractive package” kind of focus group. They meet with consumers and get into the nitty gritty about what they really want from a good household product.
3. Talk to the experts- At Method, everyone is an expert in something. In talking to their laundry formulation scientist & seeing his scribbles and diagrams, they struck the idea of the “apparatus” looking bottle for their detergent.
4. Get inspiration from other designers- Keep expanding your horizons by keeping abreast of other designers’ works, fashion, food, television, books and more. Nothing is more inspiring than delving into the vast world out there. Sites like FFFFound! help archive all these great clippings.
5. Give your brain a rest- Even the creative director at Method has her outlet for mind rest– Tod Chef and the Food Network! Don’t be scared to let those cells rest and divert your attention. You will come back with a fresh outlook.